Wednesday, July 20, 2011

How to act as a leader in chaos

When everything's broken, art assets are not in the game, the game is buggy, the camera just decided not to display alphas, your Tech Lead is missing and not answering his phone, and the build is due in 2 hours, how a leader should behave? Is there a place for me as a leader to push them more than this? everyone is stressed at this point so how should I lead my team when they are working hard but it seems impossible to deliver the build on time? 


One the things I learnt in such situation is to act calm. Everyone is already stressed therefore, pushing them to hard worker or asking them to give me a build, is not going to go anywhere at all. I need to act cool and motivate them. In the mean time, I need to use every resource that I can find to help my team. Worst case scenario, I will deliver a build which is playable but lacks certain features. I will NOT fail; I was told to "deliver a build" and I WILL deliver a build.

No comments:

Post a Comment